Tuesday, September 27, 2022
HomeBreaking NewsPolicemen Storm Enugu Community, Kill Traditional Ruler, Locals React

Policemen Storm Enugu Community, Kill Traditional Ruler, Locals React

In Enugu State, the traditional ruler of Oruku community in Nkanu East Local Govenment Area, Igwe Emmanuel Chidebere Mba, was reportedly shot dead by uniform men who claimed to be police officers from Force Headquarters, Abuja.

Eyewitnesses said that ‘policemen’ who were led by one Inspector Danladi, invaded the community in an SUV and a Sienna bus at about 2pm on Saturday and sought to see the traditional ruler who was addressing community members inside the community town hall.

The armed men were reportedly escorted to the town hall by three natives of Oruku community identified as Emmanuel Nwobodo, Onyema Edeh and Sunday Onunze.

When the traditional ruler was identified by the three natives, one of the ‘policemen’ immediately shot him on the thigh and he fell down bleeding.

Confusion started after the traditional leader was shot, as the natives scattered in different directions amidst sporadic shooting by the armed men, who made attempts to arrest some of them.

The local chief was taken to Parklane hospital Enugu but could not be admitted due to lack of bed space. He was then referred to the National Orthopedic hospital, Enugu but on arrival doctors at the Emergency Unit only confirmed the ruler dead.

Checks by some leaders of the community at the state police command headquarters to ascertain the identity and motive of the “invading policemen” proved abortive as they were told that there was no such entry made at any police station to that effect.

As a result of the incident, the aggrieved community members reportedly regrouped Saturday evening and attacked the homes of some indigenes believed to be behind the murder of the traditional ruler.


Four houses including the compound of the father of a retired federal Permanent Secretary, Chief Raymond Okenwa were reportedly burnt down. Some vehicles parked within the affected premises were also set ablaze by the mob.

The carnage continued until Sunday morning as more buildings in Oruku were still being set on fire.

Attempts made to reach the Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Daniel Ndukwe, failed as he did not pick calls nor reply to text messages on his mobile phone.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments

%d bloggers like this: